What does that mean to you? What's the first thing that comes to mind? Do you know how to feel your feelings? So many questions, thoughts, emotions.
Some don't realize how important it is to "feel your feelings," or to focus on the feelings you have and focus on them one at a time. After learning your feelings and what they entail, you'll better understand why you react the way you do and what YOU need.
Follow along with me in this "5-Step Guide on How to Feel your Feelings." Thank you to Milk and Honey Therapy for this amazing guide!
1. Take time to slow down and identify your emotions. Take a look at the wheel below and identify what you're feeling.
2. Give yourself time and space to feel your emotions WITHOUT JUDGMENT! Don't try and push them away. Think about what triggered these emotions and recognize that they aren't permanent.
3. Identify where you feel this emotion in your body and focus on sensations. Become aware of your 5 senses.
4. Decide how you're going to express your emotiosns. There are multiple ways you can choose to do so. Find what works for you.
"I" Statements look like:
I feel ____when ____ because ____. I'd like_____
I feel angry when you check your phone when I'm talking to you because it seems like you aren't listening to me. I'd like it if you put your phone away when I'm talking to you.
5. Ask yourself what you need in that moment to cope with your emotions, or take care of yourself.
I hope this guide from Milk and Honey Therapy was a great help to you! Going through this guide helped me to see that it is okay to be more on the negative side of the spectrum, i.e. mad, scared. What's important is figuring out why I feel the way I do and how to cope.
Visit Milk and Honey Therapy for more helpful tips!